Chief Operating Officer
JED is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit that exists to protect emotional health and prevent suicide for our nation’s teens and young adults. We’re partnering with high schools and colleges to strengthen their mental health, substance abuse and suicide prevention programs and systems. We’re equipping teens and young adults with the skills and knowledge to help themselves and each other. We’re encouraging community awareness, understanding and action for young adult mental health.
JED Programs Include:
- JEDCampus.org: A nationwide initiative designed to guide schools through a collaborative process of comprehensive systems, program and policy development with customized support to build upon existing student mental health, substance abuse and suicide prevention efforts.
- SetToGo.org: A new program that guides students, families and high school educators through the social, emotional and mental health challenges related to the transition out of high school to college and adulthood.
- ULifeline.org: A mental health resource center that offers college students information about emotional health issues and the resources available on their campus. It also offers a confidential mental health self-screening tool.
- HalfofUs.com: An award-winning program from JED and MTV featuring a library of free-for-use videos including PSAs and celebrities and students talking about their personal experiences with mental health and substance use. Half of Us helps young people feel less alone and encourages them to reach out for help.
- LoveisLouder.com: A community working together to build a world where we all feel connected and supported. No matter who we are, where we’re from, what we’ve experienced or what challenges we face, there are things we can do to make connection and support louder in our lives and for the people around us.
Overview of the Chief Operating Officer Role:
JED seeks a Chief Operating Officer to join its growing management team. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Operating Officer will be primarily, an inward facing position, responsible for the execution and management of JED’s strategic plan, the success of its programs and the effectiveness of its internal programmatic operations. Successful candidates for this newly created position will demonstrate significant interpersonal skills, a high level of intelligence, strong analytical skills, attention to detail, entrepreneurial drive and a successful track record of management success and accomplishment.
Chief Operating Officer Responsibilities:
- Strategic vision and program development
- Support development of JED’s vision and implementation of its strategic plan
- Ensure that JED’s programs reflect the organization’s mission and priorities
- Supervise the effective planning, implementation and evaluation of JED’s programs and services
Leadership and Team Management
- Effective talent management and staffing decisions of direct reports and their teams
- Alignment of all program team activities with JED and program-specific goals
- Responsible for direct reports achieving targets and goals
- Facilitate efficient and effective cross-team collaboration
- Ongoing reinforcement of JED’s culture and norms
- Work with program staff to prepare comprehensive annual plans and budgets
- Facilitate measurement and evaluation of all programs in collaboration with Learning and Implementation team
- Provide reports and analyses to CEO and as appropriate, to the Board of Directors of program progress against goals
- Support CEO and Chief Development Officer as needed to strengthen fundraising for those JED programs and partnerships under his/her management
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study required. Advanced degree in business, public health, non-profit or public administration, or program management helpful
- Demonstrated track record of success leading teams and implementing programs with measurable impact
- Significant experience in leadership positions managing diverse cross-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work in fast-paced, results oriented, demanding environment, balancing competing priorities
- Demonstrated passion for improving lives of young adults through systems-change and broad-based campaigns and awareness building
- Knowledge of and experience working in secondary and/or higher education systems helpful
- Knowledge of mental health and public health fields helpful
- Impeccable written and oral communication and relationship building skills; ability to effectively communicate JED’s mission, vision, values and impact to internal and external audiences
- Skill in preparing written reports and presentations and presenting in front of live audiences
Interested Candidates should e-mail their résumé with cover letter to: email@example.com
JED is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workplace that values teamwork, collaboration and creativity. JED is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.