Director, Media Relations
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Director, Media Relations is part of the Marketing and Communications team and plays an important role in helping to communicate The Jed Foundation (JED) story and mission to a wide audience. Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, the Director, Media Relations will cultivate relationships with journalists, bloggers, and content creators, and actively pitch stories and editorials about JED research, partnerships, awards and other programmatic milestones. They will respond to media inquiries and manage press at JED events. The Director, Media Relations will conduct media training for the staff and JED Subject Matter Experts, and write JED news stories for the website. They will also assist in formulating a long-term strategy for media relations and public relations.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with relevant local, city, state, and national press across media platforms, including those of bloggers, and other content creators.
- Actively pitch stories that highlight JED’s accomplishments, research, and clinical expertise, helping to position JED as the go-to organization for protecting emotional health and preventing suicide.
- Cultivate and grow up-to-date media distribution lists.
- Respond effectively to media inquiries, with guidance from the senior director of marketing and communications.
- Manage and coordinate press at JED events.
- Coordinate interviews between JED staff/JED experts and the press.
- Collaborate with the social media team on publicity campaigns.
- Write press releases, media advisories, JED news stories, and targeted pitches to expand overall awareness of the JED brand and programs, and publicize key milestones.
- Work with the marketing and communications team to ensure relevant media mentions and stories featuring JED are highlighted on the website, in our newsletters, and other communications vehicles.
- Collaborate on media guidelines / standard talking points for JED subject matter experts and brand ambassadors.
- Maintain and update JED narrative documents, boilerplates, and spokesperson database.
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate on long-term media relations/public relations strategy and planning, with attention to industry best practices and the current media landscape.
- Collaborate on overall, integrated communications strategy for JED and how the PR/media relations work relates to social media, email, website, and other communications.
- Minimum BA/BS
- Minimum 8-10 years professional experience
- Strong project management, journalism, PR, and marketing experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-directed and proactive with strong follow-through skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Team player
Salary: commensurate with experience
Location: New York, NY
Interested candidates should email their résumé with cover letter to email@example.com
JED is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workplace that values teamwork, collaboration and creativity. JED is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.