Manager, Finance & Administration
The Jed Foundation (JED) is a non-profit organization that exists to protect emotional health and prevent suicide for nation’s teens and young. We partner with high schools and colleges to strengthen their mental health, substance abuse and suicide prevention programs and systems. We equip teens and young adults with the skills and knowledge to help themselves and each other. We encourage community awareness, understanding and action for young adult mental health. We envision a future where:
- Every high school and college has a comprehensive system that supports emotional health and reduces the risks of substance abuse and suicide.
- All teens and young adults are equipped to navigate mental health challenges, to seek and give help, and emotionally prepared to enter adulthood and fulfill their potential.
- Our communities support the emotional well-being and mental health of teens and young adults.
- Mental health is recognized as part of general health and wellness and is not associated with shame, secrecy or prejudice.
JED’s public service campaigns reach over 25 million people; and more than one million people each year are better informed and prepared to care for their mental health, or a loved one, by using JED’s online resource centers. Over 2,500 schools strengthen their safety nets for students by using at least one resource from JED; and 240 colleges representing over 2,500,000 students are participating in JED Campus, working with JED to improve their mental health, substance abuse and suicide prevention programming.
JED has 27 full-time staff and a 2019 operating budget of $7 million. Please visit www.jedfoundation.org to learn more.
Reporting to the CFO and serving as a key member of the Finance & Administration team, the Manager, Finance & Administration will be the initial point of contact for all accounts payable and accounts receivable activities as well as manage most day-to-day bookkeeping functions of the organization. The individual in this position will also be instrumental to the organization’s annual audit, organization-wide events, and collaboration with other members of the Finance & Administrative team.
Specific Responsibilities by Percentage
Accounting – 80%
- Research and record all contributions with associated restrictions based on donor intentions
- Deposit in a timely fashion all non-EFT based contributions
- Research and verify payment authorization for all invoices and contracts
- Record all invoices for payment and set up payments in banking system for release by CFO or other account signer in a timely fashion
- Ensure all bank fees and other miscellaneous charges are recorded with proper accounting treatment as specified under US GAAP.
- Complete all monthly bank reconciliations in collaboration with Accounting Consultant for review by CFO
- Maintain an efficient electronic filing system of all invoices, contracts, payment approval and authorization documentations, bank reconciliations, monthly financials, and supporting documentation for contributions and earned income
- Invoice clients and follow up on all outstanding receivables
- Create weekly accounts receivable aging, accounts payable aging, and monthly trial balance reports for review by CFO
- Assist CFO in data compilations and verification, especially during the organization’s annual audit.
Intra-team and Cross-team Collaboration – 20%
- Partner with Graphic Designer & IT Coordinator on a biweekly basis to ensure all revenue is reconciled between the accounting system and Salesforce CRM.
- Collaborate with Senior Manager, Human Resources & Administration on an as-needed basis to ensure all revenue is reconciled between the accounting system and internal spreadsheets for all JED special events.
- Assist in evaluating projects against approved fiscal budget with highlights to any accounting implications.
- Serve as the initial point of contact for any accounts payable or receivable questions from staff members.
- Proactively engage in ad-hoc accounting and basic financial reporting as assigned by CFO.
- Certification (CA, CPA) or degree in Business or Finance; CPA designation is a plus
- 2-3 years of accounting experience preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Knowledgeable and has a proven track record managing most, if not all parts, of day-to-day accounting under US GAAP.
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented
- Excited by a fast-paced dynamic environment, with high level of ethics and integrity
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in proposing new ways of creating efficiencies
Salary range: commensurate with experience
This position is located in New York City. It is not a remote position.
Interested candidates should email their résumé with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
JED is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workplace that values teamwork, collaboration and creativity. JED is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.