President & Chief Operating Officer
ABOUT THE POSITION
The JED Foundation (JED) seeks an intellectually curious leader to lead and implement JED’s strategic plans and achieve organizational goals while advancing the organization’s mission. Working collaboratively with the CEO and Board of Directors, and reporting to the CEO and the executive committee of the Board, the President/COO will contribute to JED’s strategic direction while skillfully managing day to day strategy, operations, and people. The President/COO will work to promote a culture of high expectations, effective performance, and continuous learning and improvement. The President/COO will report to the Chief Executive Officer and Executive Committee of the Board.
- Triple the number of higher education students protected by JED’s Comprehensive Approach to 12 million: Grow participating in JED Campus from 350 schools to 1,800 colleges and universities, representing 55% of schools and 12M students in the US, creating a national tipping point for mental health and suicide prevention systems change across higher education through the implementation of the Comprehensive Approach, demonstrating reductions in suicide rates, increases in students receiving mental healthcare, positive changes in attitudes and behaviors, and achieving equity in these student outcomes.
- Quickly scale JED’s new Comprehensive Approach for High Schools to protect 1.2 million+ students: Ensure that 1,500 1,800 high schools, representing 6 8% of all schools and over 1,200,000+ students in the US, understand and implement the Comprehensive Approach, demonstrating reductions in suicide rates, increases in students receiving mental healthcare, positive changes in attitudes and behaviors, and achieving equity in these student outcomes; while also creating broad awareness and agreement across secondary education that emotional preparation for life after high school is an essential undertaking during the high school years.
- Strengthen the mental health attitudes and behaviors of young adults, their families, and community members: Consistent with JED’s Impact Framework, measurably improve the mental health attitudes, and behaviors of teens and young adults, their families and community members through multiple influence strategies including 1) education and training, youth directed campaigns, content and curricula, 2) advising youth serving, non school organizations, and 3) advocating for mission serving national and state policy and legislation.
- Strengthen the field through suicide prevention thought leadership: Actively and generously share JED’s perspective, guidance, research, data and learnings with the mental health and suicide prevention field, including health care providers and educational leaders in order to help the field strengthen its supports for teen and young adult mental health and suicide prevention.
- Fortify our organizational effectiveness: Ensure JED’s capacity to perform optimally over the long term by building a sustainable funding model, robust financial control, and management systems, and effective recruiting, talent development, and retention systems.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The ideal President and Chief Operating Officer (President/COO) brings a successful track record of managing high growth operating companies and/or non-profit organizations, along with a broad, multi-faceted set of talents, including excellent leadership and people skills, business acumen, and the ability to effectively manage, lead, and supervise complex organizations and multidisciplinary teams.
Experience serving as the operational leader in a high growth enterprise, with the ability to successfully lead teams and create systems designed to optimize and advance an organization’s mission.
- Multi-faceted management experience: understanding of various business functions such as program implementation, marketing, research and evaluation, HR, finance, IT, etc.
- People management: a highly effective and inspiring leader of people and teams.
- Problem solving: a resourceful problem solver who can understand and address root causes of complex issues.
- Thoughtful decision making: willingness to make decisions and judgment to know when to bring in others for counsel.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way.
- Intellectual curiosity: demonstrates a genuine interest in learning and staying current in mental health and suicide prevention.
- Proactivity: acts without being told what to do; brings new ideas to the organization.
- Organization and planning: plans, organizes, and schedules in an efficient, productive manner; focused on key priorities.
- Flexibility/adaptability: adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Attention to detail: does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Honesty/integrity: earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is expedient; speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Knowledge of academic environments (secondary and higher education) preferred.
Salary: commensurate with experience
Location: New York, NY (this is not a remote position)
How to Apply: Please select one of the three methods only.
- Apply through LinkedIn
- Upload your résumé with cover letter on our website
- Email résumé with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
JED is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workplace that values teamwork, collaboration, and creativity. JED is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.