Become a JED Volunteer
We are thrilled that you are interested in learning more about our volunteer program. The program has been designed for you to have an engaging experience while helping to fulfill our mission to protect emotional health and prevent suicide for our nation’s teens and young adults by spreading information about The Jed Foundation and raising mental health awareness.
- We want to stop the shame, prejudice and secrecy associated with mental health so that more people, especially teens and young adults, will seek help more often and feel comfortable doing so.
- We want to educate people about the signs that someone may be in distress and provide guidance on how to help. We want people to know that although people experience dark times, there is hope and help waiting to be given.
- We want people to know how to find that help.
Along with raising awareness is the need to raise funds to develop and implement the programs created by JED. You can see those funds put to action by visiting the JED website and viewing our programs and resources. Over 90% of funds raised will go directly into programming to help teens and young adults.
With your volunteer efforts we can make an even bigger impact.
Let’s get started!
First, fill out our JED Volunteer Form. This will help us learn more about you and how you would like to get involved.
Second, check out what you can do to help now:
This action requires the least effort, but can have a big impact. Click here to send an email to friends (if you don’t have an email client set up, that direct link might not work. You can copy our email template from here) or create your own email. The email introduces JED and why you think they might want to learn more and stay up-to-date with JED. Your friends can click on this link in the email to be added to the JED email list. From time to time JED friends will receive programming updates, relevant information, be asked to invite more friends, and if they wish, become a volunteer themselves or make a donation.
Raise Funds and Awareness:
Start a Facebook Fundraiser
- Consider this: the average Facebook user in 2017 has about 338 friends. Let’s assume that only half of JED volunteers participate, and of those, all your/their friends give something. Let’s also assume that half of Facebook friends give just $1, half give $5, and no one gives more (but they will). That’s an average of $3 per friend. With just that effort we can raise enough money to bring JED Campus to many colleges and universities. How to set up your Facebook Fundraiser in just a few simple steps:
- Login to Facebook and search for “The Jed Foundation (JED)” and click on our page (starting on the JED page ensures that the gifts you raise go directly to JED)
- Find the “Fundraisers” section, click on “Fundraisers” and then click on “Create Fundraiser”
- Follow the steps such as creating your own title and call to action i.e. “Help protect emotional health and prevent suicide for teens and young adults. Join me in gifting to JED”
- Invite about 20 friends at a time (inviting too many at once may result in a glitch)
- Send reminders to inspire action and invite people by email to view your fundraiser
Host a DIY Fundraise for JED event
- Set up your “Fundraise for JED” page in three easy steps:
- Click here
- Click on the big blue button “BECOME A FUNDRAISER” and follow the steps to create your page
- Then direct your friends, family and network to your Fundraise for JED page
- Check out our JED Volunteer DIY Fundraising Toolkit to help you host your own “Fundraise for JED” event
- See examples of events hosted by JED Volunteers for inspiration
Support JED on Amazon Smile
- Take these simple steps to select JED as your charity on smile.amazon.com to support JED while you shop!
Organize a film screening event
- Plan a screening of the HBO Documentary “My Depression” or “Mind/Game Film” about WNBA legend and JED Ambassador, Chamique Holdsclaw. Click here to learn more.